Stronger server following traffic surge

I noticed this morning that the server had errors, which caused some page visits to fail and only display an error page.
I am still investigating the root cause, but I suspect this is due to the increase of visitors in the last 2 days.
So until I can find the exact reason, I’ve beefed up the server, and the website seems to behave normally now. I’ll follow up with a more in-depth explanation and how it will be resolved, so that this does not happen again.

In the mean time, do not hesitate to get in touch with me if you continue seeing errors. And if that impacted your work in anyway, I’ll happily give you a free month on your current plan.

Thank you so much for your patience on this.

Here are now the changes I have implemented to help alleviate this in the future:

1 - What happened is that the database became a bottleneck. There was a traffic surge, leading to many requests on the site, which in turn led to more database use. But many requests where on pages which ideally should not need the database. This is the case for the home page and most of the documentation. So I’ve now optimized those so that visiting them does not hit the database. This should make 90% of the site much faster.

2 - At the moment, the local app checks with the site ( https://polygonjs.com ) whenever someone saves a scene, in order to know if that person has a free or pro plan. If the site is down, you can’t save, and that’s terrible. So I will look into having 2 different sites. One for the main site, and one for only licensing checks. This way, when the main site goes down, it won’t affect users of the local app.

3 - And to help even further #2, I am looking at ways to make the local app even less reliant on an external license server. There are multiple ways those could be done, so this won’t be tomorrow. But it is going higher on my priority list.

Thanks a ton of you’ve taken the time to read those technical details. And don’t hesitate if you have any questions.